Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Where can we go? (to our friends of course)

Ok. Now we are all intelligent, talented, professionals, who are currently un- or kind of-employed. Each of us have our own unique situations. Each looking for many answers and some advice.

We've been doing a lot of research on our own. Yet, we wake up everyday wondering what to do. Oh, there is plenty to do, we know that, but in what order? We need a job now. We need insurance now. We need leads. We need contacts. We need to pay the bills (baskets of them). Additonally, some of us must also tend our children's and/or parent's needs. 

Are we going about this the most efficient way? Reading web articles, researching on-line and at the library, speaking with passerbys. Each article, book and person has a different approach to give. We are gathering job hunting knowledge and experience. 

We try to help each other individually, forwarding thoughts and some posted job ops. But I think we have a lot of power together. We are in the same field. We are watching it change. We've done that before...remember the computer revolution? Typewriters and mechanicals surrendered to the "new wave"?  We had to take a fresh approach, and figure out a way to morph (grow?) our current talents to the new situation.

Here's my thought (finally, right?): a place we can share experiences and new tidbits of information as we collect them. We can concentrate on our specific issues.

Answers to questions like:
--How do I approach this huge endeavor? Am I just looking for a specific position?
--I've polished my resumes but how do I repurpose it to try for other positions? 
--Do I need more education? Should I take the time and money to sign up for a class on web design? If so, do I concentrate on a program (Dreamweaver, Flash...) or code (XHTML, HTML, CAD)?
--How do I write a cover letter? Can it be modified easily?
--How do ask my friends for job referrals (to keep an eye out for me) in such a tough economy?
--Should I have 2-3 letters of reference available?
--How do I effectively use the internet? When does it become a waste of time?
--Portfolio website? Can I figure it out with little or no web training? Do I need one before I start?
--E-mail or snail mail? Is one better than the other?
--PDF resume or a MSWord resume attachment?
--Why am I gaining weight?
--Does prayer help?

There are tons of questions. 

We can post comments and links on this blog or send to them to me and I will post them.

This may be an time-saving way to get to the information without everyone spending hours digging for it. Are you interested in contributing (if I make it take almost no time and easy)?

Bookmark this site. I can make you all contributors. This means you just sign in and go to "New Blog", write or paste whatever into the box, hit "Publish Post". 3 steps.

What you think? I'll start doing some posting. If you want to join, let me know.




No comments: