Monday, December 22, 2008

The Frozen North

Well winter is definitely upon Vermont. As I sit here I look out my window our yard. It is covered with 17" of snow which fell within the past 2 days. Since you can still scroll down and see last year's pics, I won't bore you with additional images—yet.

Before the snow, only a little over a week ago, we received one of those historic New England ice storms. For 3 days, trees covered with 1/4 inch of ice created a crystal forest. It was beautiful. It was dangerous. Limbs fell. Trees fell. One area in Westminster, looked as if a tornado blew through. Unrooted birch trees strewn across and on the roadside, taking out the power lines along the way. 

Fortunately we lost our power for only a day. It's been 10 days on and there are still electricity displaced people in NH.

Here's a couple of pics. I couldn't capture the sparkle as well as I liked. Note our tiny stream doubled in size. 



2 comments:

Jennifer Thermes said...

Beautiful pictures, Sue! This weather has been crazy. I can't believe Seattle-- have family out there who can't believe it, either! (Good weather for curling up with a book, I say.)

Have a great holiday! ;-)

Jessica said...

Hi Susan!

Thanks for your comment! (And I like your photos!) It's relieving in a way to hear such a message come from a long-working professional, as it confirms that I'm not alone and insane, haha. But yeah, now's still a bummer though–I know that a lot of my former classmates haven't found work either, or their short contract jobs led to nothing long-term, or they actually got laid off from jobs that they just got hired at.. Perhaps it will make my age group, in a way, stronger and wiser for the future? At the same time, I'm concerned because our "real world" experience is so delayed at a time when you're supposed to be rapidly improving and filling your brain with stuff.

I guess we'll see where this takes us. But till that happens, would you be interested in meeting for coffee somewhere if you have the chance? I actually live in Rockingham as well. :D

- Jessica