Friday, February 20, 2009

One of My Top 10 Fears

Job interviews. Well, maybe not in the top ten, but up there. 

I really fear these. Truly. I look good on paper, I'm experienced, honest, intelligent and work hard. But the minute I get in the room with a hiring inquisitor I freeze. Freeze. Clothes don't fit, bad hair day, tongue swells, hands sweat, teeth chatter. The dentist chair looks good comparably speaking. 

I over think everything. What is a good color to wear? Perfume or no perfume? Business casual or Art Department Interesting? Jewelry? Make-up? A lot of this stuff I don't do normally. So in my mind I'm going in wearing a costume. Do Vermont employers look for different things than Connecticut employers?

I hear myself answering questions by rambling. I figure if I keep talking maybe I'll say something they want to hear. As I'm hearing the words my mind races. "What do they really want to know? Surely it can't be 'what kind of tree would you be?'" I was stumped in one of my interviews with "what do you mean by 'easy to get along with?'"

I'm the example of what NOT to do. I'm well studied in what I should do. I've borrowed, googled and purchased all the information I can find on job interviewing. Prepared for all contingencies. I know the questions before they are asked. I know what I should be wearing and what questions I shouldn't answer. When I should stop talking. But once I am in that room, the mind slate is wiped clean.

I should have paid attention in grade school during oral presentations. Give me a written test. Something I can research, take my time answering and editing.

"Greatest weakness?" No problem. Interviews.

Hmm, what do I think I'll be doing 5 years from now? Hopefully still working. 


Here's a good site for many hints on a successful interview and job hunting:


2 comments:

Jennifer Thermes said...

I'm with you. Overthinking isn't always good! I'm figuring out I do better at some things if I don't care too much about the outcome. (Even if I just pretend not to care!) Hope that makes sense.

Marcy {pine creek cottage} said...

Wishing you a happy new year! Hope you are enjoying a snowy, beautiful day in Vermont.