Friday, February 8, 2008

Getting to Know the Vermont Winter

Moving from Connecticut, we've been used to New England winters. So, it didn't seem all that extraordinary to get snow before the winter solstice. We had a light snow cover Thanksgiving and a white Christmas. Very romantic. But the snow hasn't stopped since.

The depth has averaged around two feet after melting and the re-covering of each storm. The sad part is, though I want to be angry, I smile as I shovel. The snow has been the light fluffy kind. And it's so much more glittery than what we're used to. It falls on the trees like two inches of powdered sugar. I begin to hope the sun won't resurface to melt the fantasy away.  

But as the snow floats and accumulates picturesquely on the landscape, it's piling up on our tin roof. As the weather warms and refreezes, large ice filled chunks of snow build up and slowly make their way down to the eaves. This hangs treacherously until clumps plummet past the windows. On a warmer day this can occur frequently. At times it looks as if people are being thrown of the roof. It also creates a rumble and thud sound which is startling. A large bank is forming in front of the lower windows which looks like a solid wave crashing against the house.

The strange thing is that as I live in this "winter wonderland" my family and friends in Connecticut have had little or no snow. ' Just makes me smile.

1 comment:

Jennifer Thermes said...

Yes-- I'm a bit jealous-- we could use a good snowstorm before spring comes! Love the pictures.

:-)